Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
How To Plan A Berry Picking Adventure
The kids are out for the summer…so let the outdoor adventures begin! Berry picking adventures are one of our favorite activities. We look forward to it every year! Here are 4 reasons why it’s such a wonderful experience:
It’s a fun activity for the whole family can enjoy.
The kids get to eat while picking (I don’t have to pack snacks).
Fresh berries taste amazing!
It’s educational for your children to see first-hand how berries grow.
How To Prepare –
This is going to be a fun and delicious experience! Don’t forget to check here for what berries are in season. We recently picked blueberries and blackberries. The place we visited had many types of blueberries. We spent some time trying each kind to see which one we wanted to pick and take home. I only noticed slight differences between the different varieties. We had to spend a few minutes with the kids explaining which ones were good to pick and which ones needed more time to grow. This was all part of the fun! Here are some more tips to better prepare you for this entertaining outdoor activity;
- Bring hats and sunscreen, protect yourself from the sun.
- Keep hydrated, pack plenty of water!
- Don’t forget the camera, this is a great time to get pictures.
- Consider bringing a wagon to carry smaller children and all your berries.
- Do not dress the kids in their best outfits, berries can stain so wear clothes they can get dirty.
- Bring baby wipes to clean sticky hands before they get back into the car.
- Bring a cooler if you don’t plan on going straight home, you don’t want your berries to ruin!
- Immediately freeze what you don’t plan to use in the next few days.
Now you’re all prepared to go! Don’t forget about all those yummy treats you’ll soon be making with your fresh picked berries. We enjoy yogurt in the morning with fresh blueberries and fruit smoothies too! My all-time favorite recipe is blueberry muffins with a streusel topping!
*Have you been berry picking? If so, what tasty treats do you enjoy making?