I’m a Texan, born and raised, and I feel like this will always be “home” to me. There are many things that make this state great but I especially LOVE springtime when the Bluebonnets are in full bloom. Here are some interesting facts about this beautiful state flower:
1. They begin to bloom in March and are in full bloom by April.
2. The bluebonnet was chosen as the state flower in 1901. Did you know there are many different species of our beloved? Bluebonnets? In 1971 the Texas State Flower was changed to include all of these species.
3. The Lupinus Texensic and Lupinus Subcarnosis (species of bluebonnets) only grow in Texas.
4. Texas was the first state to plant flowers alongside the state highways.
5. Bluebonnets like the full sun which is one reason they do so well in Texas!
6. You can visit Ennis Bluebonnet Trails in April to get the full Bluebonnet experience!
So the next time you visit Texas during the spring months we encourage you to stop and take pictures in a field of blue. Be sure to use your southern manners and avoid picking them. We want them to be a part of what makes Texas so beautiful for many years to come!